Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stacked PCB Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkidd22

Hello,

I have a small 3x4 PCB that mounts on top of a bigger main board. The small PCB has some through hole components. What I'm trying to figure out is what kind of tape insulator would be good to use on the bottom solder side of the small PCB to insulate it. As to prevent the solder from scratching any traces that may be on the main PCB which could cause a short. Doesn't need to be high temp.

Last edited:
Rigid standoffs, as suggested, would be best if you have the space needed. Failing that, how about sticky foam pads (stacked as necessary to give good clearance between the boards)?

Rigid standoffs, as suggested, would be best if you have the space needed. Failing that, how about sticky foam pads (stacked as necessary to give good clearance between the boards)?
I don´t think those are a good idea, they will suck moisture and might throw everything off.
In SMPS supplies you may often see thin and hard HDPE foil such that you can´t easily punch it through, this one would be ideal to use.

Can't use standoff, trying to stay away from having to modify the main board. I need to use some kind of mylar tape or something like that.

If you can get hands on kapton or mylar that might be ok too, just use enough layers.

How is the small board attached to the bigger board? Is it by short bare wires soldered at each end?
If so, and if they are straight, you might use short pieces of plastic tubing to act as standoffs.
Bivar makes some parts for that purpose.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back