Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stabilisator 110V --> 220V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiec

I am living in Brasil and here we have 110V 60Hz and 220V 60Hz. I moved from a 110V region to a 220V region. For my computer i have a stabilizor (110V to 110V) which in essense is a transformer with a relativly small print.. The stabilizer (same brand and type) is also for sale as a 220V model. I was thinking, is there a change that the stabilizor is modifyable to a 220V version?

I have pictures of the inside...

**broken link removed**

Possibly. A relay type voltage stabilizer generally just uses an autotransformer. One that big, and with the light loading from a laptop, could work at twice the voltage. The unloaded reactance is probably high enough to stop it from overheating at 220V. The size of the transformer looks like it may be rated for 300-500W, your laptop probably draws less than 100W. It could stay out of the danger zone at 220V if you don't load it heavily.

This device will have taps to for a higher or lower voltage output - probably the red, yellow, blue and orange wires, a common connection - probably the black wire, and a low-voltage tap to power the electronics and provide a sense input - probably the white wire.

Adapting it to 220V may be as simple as changing a connection or resistor value on the sense circuit, and possibly the MOV (protection device, the red thing marked "V1" at the lower left of the first picture).

But without a schematic, I'm afraid we will not get very far. Try searching on the name or model number along with the word "schematic" or "circuit".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back