Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spur gear design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have tried to find formulas to design a spur gear from scratch, but when I try to design one, I need some formulas and some don't fit. Can anyone give me a complet guide for the design of a spur gear and other gears as well - I would like som examples

Thanks
Electronics4you

I don't know why you want to design a spur gear from scratch as there is just about any spur gear on the open market for only a few dollars, besides to make one you need a milling machine, dividing head and the correct milling cutter. The cost of the cutter alone would be the equivilent of many ready made gears. So unless your a machinist and have all the gear I wouldn't recommend making your own. But I do have all the relevent data on hand and like I say it's not for the faint hearted.

Cheers Bryan :D

I you have the data I would the pleased to see them. Pertaining to your question about the production of spur gears, I make special robots, and I have contact to some big gear fabrication conpanies in Denmark, who can make them very cheap. They just can't give me some formulaes. Do you also have an example on how to design one?

Electronics4you

At the moment all my engineering books are in packing boxes but as far as a spur gear goes. First you need to decide what tooth module you want to use, if you have a spur gear onhand trace around it to find the chord thickness or measure it with a vernier then depending how many teeth you want will denote the pitch circle diameter required. It's quite simple maths although if you check out some engineering websites you'll probably find some software to do it all for you. A quick google search brought up quite few software programs **broken link removed** is just one of them. Check out a few of them as some are freeware.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :D

Thanks for the info Brian

But I also need the equations, so sorry to sound stupid, but the equations I have found don't make sense to me. When I want to find the base diameter it just gets to small, when I for example set the pitch diameter to 100 mm. Can anyone give me a good example on how to start and end

I found these equations on the internet:

Electronics4you

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4,882
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back