Spice model for transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonzit

Has anyone got a Spice model for a transformer?

I understand a transformer can be constructed from two inductors using mutual inductance statements/parameters, but unfortunately I don't know how to do this.

I also understand that there are many possible parameters for a transformer. For my purposes, a "generic" model (one which assumes no parasitic capacitance and near-zero resistance, for example) would do fine at this point. A simple "plug-n-play" model, if one exists, would be perfect.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:

hi cz.
Two asc files, one is a dual secondary, note the 'K1' string.

EDIT:
You should this one helpful, shows different voltage options. For a a 230Vac 50Hz input
BasicTxr1

Attachments

• Tapped1.asc
    3.5 KB · Views: 452
  • txr2.asc
    1.9 KB · Views: 371
  • BasicTxr1.asc
    726 bytes · Views: 409
Last edited:
Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

So all I need are two inductors and the "K L1 L2 1" Spice directive?

I understand that the inductance ratio is the square of the turns ratio, correct? (Source: LTwiki)

I'm going to give it a spin now ...

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

So all I need are two inductors and the "K L1 L2 1" Spice directive?

I understand that the inductance ratio is the square of the turns ratio, correct? (Source: LTwiki)

I'm going to give it a spin now ...

cz,
Dont forget to use a States mains voltage, the voltage in the 'source generator model' has to be 110V * 1.414

Actually, I'm modeling a flyback transformer, not a power transformer.

I'm attempting to model one of Colin's circuits, a 3-volt to 5-volt step-up flyback converter (it's the power supply for this project).

Getting weird results. First time out I got nothing, so I flipped one of the inductors. Now it grinds and grinds, doesn't seem to want to converge on a solution. I copied this directly from his schematic, and I trust that his circuit is tested and works. So I guess I must have made a boo-boo somewhere.

I used a 1KΩ load on the output side: maybe not enough? will try a smaller R.

My simulation is attached. (Note: inductances are wrong. Fixed them but still doesn't work right.)

At least I now know how to make a transformer in LTspice.

Attachments

• 3v-9v converter.asc
    1.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
WHERE is your circuit Ground Symbol.

EDIT:
Can you post the original circuit diagram.?

Last edited:
Whoops. OK, put it in, but still no joy. Hmm, I wonder if Colin is around ... must be something verrrrry mysterious about his little circuit. I'm getting less than 2 volts out of it (supposed to be 5).

Oh well, if anyone has any ideas I'm listening, but otherwise I'm going to pack it in and try again later.

Hmm; choosing higher inductance values (200/600µH instead of 20/60) made a big difference. Getting expected results (including the ~20KHz spikes he described). New .asc posted below.

Spice are good!

Attachments

• 3v-9v converter.asc
    1.8 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

Hi,
Try using mH not uH values and try again, lets see.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…