Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI interface with graphic LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Has anyone tried to interface a 4-wire SPI interface graphical LCD? The display is of the +2.5-3.3 V type, so I use a voltage divider from my +5 V PIC18F4620 to lower the voltage on SCK and SDO. I initialize the display as shown in the datasheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/06/dogs102-6e.pdf on page 6, but the display doesn't react - no pixels light up. Chip select is always LOW and reset is HIGH.

Is there a fast test I can do to see, if the display is interfaced correctly with the PIC? I have used a scope to see the SDO/SCK signals, and they are find (charging/discharging curves of around 2.6-3.0 V when using a 3.0 V power supply).

hi,
Cannot help with the C, but what are the resistor divider values and is there a pull up resistor on the SPI lines.?

Edit.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Okay, figured out the PIC18F4620 can operate at 3V, so the voltage dividers are remove and pull up resistors have been used. Still there is no response from the display. Does the display require a special timing of the control signals?

Okay, figured out the PIC18F4620 can operate at 3V, so the voltage dividers are remove and pull up resistors have been used. Still there is no response from the display. Does the display require a special timing of the control signals?

hi,
Do you have this pdf.?

Attachments

• uc1701.pdf
    540.9 KB · Views: 391
Yes, I have tried to read it, but it does not seem different (timing wise) from the initialization example in the datasheet of the display. All commands are just transmitted to the display using the standard SPI module in the PIC. Thus, the timing of the SCK and SDO signals must be in order. Now I can see the datasheet shows non-polarized capacitors, but I used electrolyte capacitors - will that change anything? If mounted correctly there should be no problem, right?

Yes, I have tried to read it, but it does not seem different (timing wise) from the initialization example in the datasheet of the display. All commands are just transmitted to the display using the standard SPI module in the PIC. Thus, the timing of the SCK and SDO signals must be in order. Now I can see the datasheet shows non-polarized capacitors, but I used electrolyte capacitors - will that change anything? If mounted correctly there should be no problem, right?

It dosn't specify non polarised caps.?
Do you have any non polar caps to try.

Is the LCD showing any pixel blocks.? after you try to initialise it.??

Also have you initialised the Contrast .?

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Ia have initialized the contrast with the "Set contrast" SPI command, so I figured that would be on a default level. Also I see no pixels blocks at all, but I know the display is not defect. The non-polarized caps did not make a change at all. I think it is strange, since the hardware only requires simple VDD or VSS connections along with the SPI output from the PIC

Ia have initialized the contrast with the "Set contrast" SPI command, so I figured that would be on a default level. Also I see no pixels blocks at all, but I know the display is not defect. The non-polarized caps did not make a change at all. I think it is strange, since the hardware only requires simple VDD or VSS connections along with the SPI output from the PIC

hi,
I have looked thru the documentation for the LCD.
How do you have the CD[A0] and /CS0 pins connected.?

Also the Reset pin.?

Last edited:
CD = LOW (command)
/CS0 = LOW (chip always selected)
RST = HIGH (no necessity of resetting the lcd module during operation)

hi,
Its normal to apply the system /reset pulse at power up.? as the d/s states

Attachments

• AAesp03.gif
    AAesp03.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back