Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spelling check

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

hi i was just wondering if it is possible to have an automatic spelling check build in (same as word or outlook) the reply box??
i am dislexic and i can't even write without misstakes in my mother tongue :eek:

for me but for shure also for others it would be a great help and an easyer read

Robert-Jan

Yeah, i just use firefox. It is great.

[off subjet]

I also have Ad Block Plus installed for firefox. No more bandwidth wasting flashy adds or banners. Now i can actually ENJOY some of the sites i like (on in particular: www.hackedgadgets.com is a great site, but there is just too much damn advertising on it! ABP solved that w/o a hitch!

[/off subject]

Marks256 said:
I also have Ad Block Plus installed for firefox. No more bandwidth wasting flashy adds or banners. Now i can actually ENJOY some of the sites i like (on in particular: www.hackedgadgets.com is a great site, but there is just too much damn advertising on it! ABP solved that w/o a hitch!

Allan has gone overboard on his advertising. I guess it's more about the money than the content. Adblock definitely makes the site more tolerable!

rjvh said:
hi i was just wondering if it is possible to have an automatic spelling check build in (same as word or outlook) the reply box??
i am dislexic and i can't even write without misstakes in my mother tongue :eek:

for me but for shure also for others it would be a great help and an easyer read

Robert-Jan
I'm severely dyslexic too so I do sympathise. Spell checkers are good but they won't help you with your grammar and it's still easy to get words like 'two', 'too' and 'to' confused, especially if English isn't your first language.

Hero999 said:
it's still easy to get words like 'two', 'too' and 'to' confused, especially if English isn't your first language.

English is a terrible language for things like that. I'm currently learning a second language and it's made me realise how many things I take for granted in English which would actually be REALLY confusing if you were learning it as a second language.

The problem with the spell checker built into Firefox is it has an American dictionary and it keeps wanting to change my S's to Z's and stuff like that. We all know the Americans don't spell properly, so why they've used an American dictionary I really don't know.

Hmmm. Time to hide.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
The problem with the spell checker built into Firefox is it has an American dictionary and it keeps wanting to change my S's to Z's and stuff like that.
Brian

You can get a British English dictionary extension for firefox.
Right click on a field that you want to spell check then choose languages then click on "Add dictionaries".
Dont forget after downloading it to tick the "English United kingdom" option there to ensure that it uses it.

You can also download the dictionaries via the firefox "add-ons" option on the tools menu.

As I'm typing this, there's a little icon just a little up and to the right that looks like . Isn't that on everyones machine and doesn't it do a spell check?

Mike.

Pommie said:
As I'm typing this, there's a little icon just a little up and to the right that looks like . Isn't that on everyones machine and doesn't it do a spell check?

Mike.
I don't see that icon. I see an Aa with an X through it, and aA underlined

Maybe it's because I have ieSpell installed, but that places it's own entry on the toolbar of IE. The icon for ieSpell is the same but if you check the properties on the icon above, it is definitely a forum item.

Anyone interested can download iespell from here. Maybe someone can install it and see if the icon appears.

Mike.

Brian Hoskins said:
The problem with the spell checker built into Firefox is it has an American dictionary and it keeps wanting to change my S's to Z's and stuff like that. We all know the Americans don't spell properly, so why they've used an American dictionary I really don't know.
Then download the UK English dictionary.

Pommie said:
Maybe it's because I have ieSpell installed, but that places it's own entry on the toolbar of IE. The icon for ieSpell is the same but if you check the properties on the icon above, it is definitely a forum item.

Anyone interested can download iespell from here. Maybe someone can install it and see if the icon appears.

Mike.

Stop using IE :)
Firefox you just right click and check spell check this field.

blueroomelectronics said:
Firefox you just right click and check spell check this field.

Yes, but it's probably got American spelling!!!

Besides, I never make speeling mistokes.

Mike.

Can't you install other languages under firefox? i am sure there are other languages/cultural modifications out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back