Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

speaker out in gps circuit plaque

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeautifulmind

Good morning to all.
I apologize first thing for my English and if this thread is in wrong section.
I want to ask if i can find another way out for speaker at a gps plaque
because the speaker doesn't have sound.
I've tested a 2-3 new speakers (for sure new) and still doesn't have sound.
The plaque also has jack acoustics out and it works great.
I even tried to connect the speaker to the jack out but the speaker didn't have the required sound( too low).
Any ideas?
P.S the speaker is 1 Ohm

Are you asking about the "***** in the BOX" audio output from a GPS? My Garmin uses a special high-Z speaker (about 45 Ω); not a standard 4 Ω speaker.

Are you asking about the "***** in the BOX" audio output from a GPS? My Garmin uses a special high-Z speaker (about 45 Ω); not a standard 4 Ω speaker.

Yeah I was thinking WOW when he said it was 1-ohm!

Ah, so what you need is an amplifier circuit to make the volume louder and to drive the 1Ω speaker.

Will an LM386 amp do good? If not maybe TBA820 would be better, with much better sound quality.

-Ben

If you measure a 4Ω speaker with a DC Ohmmeter, it reads about 1Ω. The 4Ω rating is the AC impedance at some nominal frequency...

Good morning again.
Thank you all for your time and your knowledge.
sorry guys the speaker is at 8 ohm/1 Watt( my mistake)
May i ask what is ***** in the box?
If i send you a photo of the plague could you please tell me
where the amp circuit for the speaker is?

You are right. I just went and measured about a dozen small ~3"-4" speakers I have. All DC Ohmmeter measurements were about 90% of their marked "impedance".

Is the 8 Ohm speaker the one that came with the GPS?

In my Garmin 496 (aviation) GPS, it has an obstacle and terrain data base. If I fly too close to a mountain top or a radio tower, the voice from the GPS tells me "PULL UP! PULL UP!" or "CAUTION: OBSTACLE AHEAD!" or dozens of other voice messages. Pilots (my wife included) universally refer to the female voice that comes out of the speaker as the "***** in the Box". I saw a clip on UTube of the woman who recorded the announcements for Garmin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back