Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker connection precaution

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you won't get the power, you'll only get a quarter of it, and you don't have much to start with - which was why I didn't suggest series connection.

Don't worry about Audioguru's paranoia, series connection really makes VERY little difference in practice, although it's best with identical speakers.

But as I said, no power that way.

If the amplifier puts out the same voltage into 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms, putting two 4 Ohm speakers in series will give a quarter of the power per speaker, so half the overall power. That is a 3 dB reduction in the sound.

If the amplifier puts out the same voltage into 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms, putting two 4 Ohm speakers in series will give a quarter of the power per speaker, so half the overall power. That is a 3 dB reduction in the sound.

Give it a try, it will sound a lot less loud, and it's a puny amp in the first place. 3dB is supposedly the minimum change you can notice, but in practice the volume drop is considerable.

Why is that?
Typically a 4 ohm speaker will output more power since the max peak output voltage of a solid-state amp usually doesn't vary that much with load.
The datasheet shows that with a low power supply of 7V the clipping begins into an 8 ohm speaker at 2.2W but with a 4 ohm speaker the clipping begins at 4W.
With a 12V supply, the clipping begins at 7W into 8 ohms or 11W into 4 ohms.
With a 15V supply, the clipping begins at 11W into 8 ohms or 9W into 4 ohms.

I guess at high current the output Mosfets heating and on-resistance increase.
EDIT: Ohms numbers have been corrected.

Last edited:
Looking at the datasheet, it seems like a bit of a job fitting a heat sink. I assumed I'd just be able to use some heat transfer compound with mechanical pressure to hold it in place.

I might just buy a more powerful amp, without these cautions, and be careful not to turn it up too loud!

Looking at the datasheet, it seems like a bit of a job fitting a heat sink. I assumed I'd just be able to use some heat transfer compound with mechanical pressure to hold it in place.

I might just buy a more powerful amp, without these cautions, and be careful not to turn it up too loud!

If you're wanting to run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, then you need to ensure it can drive 2 ohm loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back