Speaker connection precaution

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the amplifier puts out the same voltage into 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms, putting two 4 Ohm speakers in series will give a quarter of the power per speaker, so half the overall power. That is a 3 dB reduction in the sound.

If the amplifier puts out the same voltage into 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms, putting two 4 Ohm speakers in series will give a quarter of the power per speaker, so half the overall power. That is a 3 dB reduction in the sound.

Give it a try, it will sound a lot less loud, and it's a puny amp in the first place. 3dB is supposedly the minimum change you can notice, but in practice the volume drop is considerable.

Why is that?
Typically a 4 ohm speaker will output more power since the max peak output voltage of a solid-state amp usually doesn't vary that much with load.
The datasheet shows that with a low power supply of 7V the clipping begins into an 8 ohm speaker at 2.2W but with a 4 ohm speaker the clipping begins at 4W.
With a 12V supply, the clipping begins at 7W into 8 ohms or 11W into 4 ohms.
With a 15V supply, the clipping begins at 11W into 8 ohms or 9W into 4 ohms.

I guess at high current the output Mosfets heating and on-resistance increase.
EDIT: Ohms numbers have been corrected.

Last edited:
Looking at the datasheet, it seems like a bit of a job fitting a heat sink. I assumed I'd just be able to use some heat transfer compound with mechanical pressure to hold it in place.

I might just buy a more powerful amp, without these cautions, and be careful not to turn it up too loud!

If you're wanting to run two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, then you need to ensure it can drive 2 ohm loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…