Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spark revcounter signal for pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

lele_75

Hi ,
i'm studying a solution to build a digital tachometer / Revolution counter with a pic16f877 for my gokart.

i'm a litle bit confused about the input signal: how can i pick up signal for pic?

i've considered two possibility:
1) i can pick up the spark signal form the engine with an inductive sensor (i wire near the spark cable) but in this case i ask you how this signal can be applied to pic? i immagine this is a very noised signal: is there any circuit for filtering / adapt it?

2) i can measure the rpm of the weel with an hall effect sensor but also in this case i need a circuit schema for adapt the sensor output to the pic (as far as i know many hall sensor output signal range is from 2,5 to 5 volt and so it's not ok for a square wave pic cunter input)

thankyou all

I would get the signal from the points it only about 12volts some are even 6volts or even better you could use a magnet switch set it so the flywheel trips it and your trigger voltage can be whatever you want like a nice 5 volts.
The part they use for alarms would work easy. Then just count how many time it closes a minute.

thankyou,
no need of debounce circuit in case of mechanical contact? and what about robustness?

thankyou

Hi ,
i'm studying a solution to build a digital tachometer / Revolution counter with a pic16f877 for my gokart.

i'm a litle bit confused about the input signal: how can i pick up signal for pic?

i've considered two possibility:
1) i can pick up the spark signal form the engine with an inductive sensor (i wire near the spark cable) but in this case i ask you how this signal can be applied to pic? i immagine this is a very noised signal: is there any circuit for filtering / adapt it?

2) i can measure the rpm of the weel with an hall effect sensor but also in this case i need a circuit schema for adapt the sensor output to the pic (as far as i know many hall sensor output signal range is from 2,5 to 5 volt and so it's not ok for a square wave pic cunter input)

thankyou all

What voltages do you have on your machine?
If you have at least 12v you could get a 3 wire prox switch, with a bracket on the end of the engine you could sense the key on the engine shaft.
Mike..

thankyou, let me understand better:

when you say "magnetic sensor" or "prox sensor", are you speaking about hall effect sensor or reed sensor?

Michele

thankyou, let me understand better:

when you say "magnetic sensor" or "prox sensor", are you speaking about hall effect sensor or reed sensor?

Michele
Neither, a 'prox' (proximity) device senses when a object is in it's sensing range, you do not need a magnet like a reed or hall effect sensor, thats why I said you could just use the key in the motor shaft. Try a google. These devices come in a bunch of sizes, they get used where I work on many machines along with reed and hall switches.

mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back