Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spaces in a pasted code message get all messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is being discussed now? I am still stuck on the first page where the issue was:
spaces in a pasted code message get all messed up. I can't see any problem in what you posted, except it doesn't look like code to me. What is it supposed to say or show?

I guess we are at the point where if you want it to work, it will. If you try hard enough to make it not work, you will be successful at that too. There's nothing like success.

John

I installed the Microsoft fonts which included "courier new" and I composed in Libre-Office in "Courier New" and pasted into ETO, I got some "gibberish" and the lines pasted got extra returns. I pasted the same thing into the web interface of gmail and I got the same extra returns.

The extra returns I have noticed for a while, so it must not be ETO. It could possibly be Firefox.

A paste from Libre Office with the gibberish.

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

AbCD1234EFGH

1234abcd1234

Remember: Reset to Courier New

What is being discussed now? I am still stuck on the first page where the issue was:
spaces in a pasted code message get all messed up. I can't see any problem in what you posted, except it doesn't look like code to me. What is it supposed to say or show?

I guess we are at the point where if you want it to work, it will. If you try hard enough to make it not work, you will be successful at that too. There's nothing like success.

John

Hello again,

I am not sure what you are doing. Are you saying i have to use MPLab now to paste code?
What i did was copy and paste from a standard editor and the multiple spaces get shrunk. That's just as simple as it gets.
It doesnt seem to matter how i select Courier New font, before, after, before and after, and no code tags work. That's why i brought this up.
It worked before so it should work the same now right?
Seriously i dont think you should need a program just to paste code. I was joking a little because it just seems nuts to need a special program just to past code into an editor, something that is supposed to be able to handle pastes without that much difficulty. But it's a more serious matter really.
OH yeah, i also tested with another Rich Text editor. See most editors allow you to set the font BEFORE you do anything else. So we can select Courier New, and then ANY text operations including typing by hand or pasting sets treated as the selected font, not some random proportional font like Times New Roman or MS Sans Serif or Arial. With this editor, it ignores the font when you paste. In fact, when i PASTE anything into the editor it always first converts it to something like Arial. That's where the problem lies i believe.
Before this code tags worked as expected, the font always got treated as the font you selected from the menu or whatever.
What else it could be (just a guess here though) is that the editor does not look for the right Clipboard format. Clipboard formats very widely and may be different for text copied from some Rich Edit controls, while from a regular text control it may just be the standard text format which is just CF_TEXT. So it could just be that it does not handle the CF_TEXT clipboard format correctly...that is, how most other editors handle it. There are a lot of clipboard functions that can be used too, like EnumClipboardFormats() in the Windows API.

This isnt the first time that i have seen this happen either. A while back i used to talk in a programmer's forum quite a bit, and before the software was changed the text pasted normally with spaces intact but then after the new software the spaces were compacted similar to what is happening here. Once the admin fixed the software, it worked fine again.
Of course on programming sites it is very very important to have non proportional font so that the text can line up vertically.

This isnt really about ASCII art, i dont really deal what that. This is about pasting columns of data for one or if you care to make up a little ASCII schematic and paste that, which BTW takes up very few bytes as compared to an image. Although i dont recommend using that idea for every schematic, for some it makes sense.

Also, please read my whole post before replying and try to understand what the problem is rather than try to bypass the issues somehow. This will help get to the bottom of this much quicker. Thanks :)

BTW what browser are you using?

Last edited:
Hi,

Any progress yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back