Soundesign Classic model # 5788 home stereo powers on but won't output any audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitman1989

I was given a 1960's ish Soundesign Classic model # 5788 home stereo for free a couple months back. It powers on and I can hear a "hissing" thru the speakers/headphones, which tells me the audio amp has power, but it won't output any normal audio. I went thru and looked for visablily damaged componets. I found none so I took my multimeter and tested each componet and they are all within spec. There are 4 or 5 different PCB's that have a mess of wires running between them. I have the schematic and I traced all the wires and they all go to were they are supposed to. I stumped, can someone please help me?

the biggest problem is the schematic is on a peice of paper glued to the outside bottom of the case of the stereo. that and my digital camera won't take a desent, 'Readable' picture of it

you probably have one or more coupling capacitors in the signal path that are dried out and gone open. with something that old i usually think seriously about "recapping" it with new electrolytics.

Last edited:
the biggest problem is the schematic is on a peice of paper glued to the outside bottom of the case of the stereo. that and my digital camera won't take a desent, 'Readable' picture of it

Will it fit on a Scanner? It will be a better pic most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…