Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soundesign Classic model # 5788 home stereo powers on but won't output any audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitman1989

I was given a 1960's ish Soundesign Classic model # 5788 home stereo for free a couple months back. It powers on and I can hear a "hissing" thru the speakers/headphones, which tells me the audio amp has power, but it won't output any normal audio. I went thru and looked for visablily damaged componets. I found none so I took my multimeter and tested each componet and they are all within spec. There are 4 or 5 different PCB's that have a mess of wires running between them. I have the schematic and I traced all the wires and they all go to were they are supposed to. I stumped, can someone please help me?

the biggest problem is the schematic is on a peice of paper glued to the outside bottom of the case of the stereo. that and my digital camera won't take a desent, 'Readable' picture of it

you probably have one or more coupling capacitors in the signal path that are dried out and gone open. with something that old i usually think seriously about "recapping" it with new electrolytics.

Last edited:
the biggest problem is the schematic is on a peice of paper glued to the outside bottom of the case of the stereo. that and my digital camera won't take a desent, 'Readable' picture of it

Will it fit on a Scanner? It will be a better pic most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back