Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soundcard input bias question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torben

Hi all,

I am building a soundcard input buffer for use with simple PC oscilloscope (<20kHz) software while I save up for a real scope.

The circuit in the first attachment minus the output divider to out_gnd is what I was originally working on. I can't for the life of me remember where I found the schematic. It works but the output is of course centred at +4.5V. I don't know if that's going to kill a soundcard input, but I'm given to understand they want a maximum of 1V peak to peak. Is that true?

So I added the output divider, which at least works in the sim. It costs 2mA but I can live with that.

Anyway, I've since decided to build this one instead, but I would still like to know: is it reasonable to solve the bias problem with the output divider I've added?

Thanks,

Torben

Attachments

• first_idea_bias_removed.png
    first_idea_bias_removed.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 148
I've no idea what you're asking, or why?.

Soundcards have AC coupled inputs, so a DC bias is meaningless.

I've no idea how much it would take to damage a sound card, but I would expect it would be a LOT more than 1V - but in any case, don't feed it more than that!.

What I am trying to ask is this: even if the DC bias wouldn't hurt the input of the soundcard, would the divider be a reasonable solution? I'm thinking now that just a series cap would be easier.

[Edit: argh. That is not what I'm trying to ask. What I meant was: forget the soundcard. Assume the device we're outputting to has no AC coupling, or that I don't know whether it does. Would the divider be a suitable solution, or would the series cap be sufficient?)

Thanks for the tips,

Torben

Last edited:
Torben said:
What I am trying to ask is this: even if the DC bias wouldn't hurt the input of the soundcard, would the divider be a reasonable solution? I'm thinking now that just a series cap would be easier.

[Edit: argh. That is not what I'm trying to ask. What I meant was: forget the soundcard. Assume the device we're outputting to has no AC coupling, or that I don't know whether it does. Would the divider be a suitable solution, or would the series cap be sufficient?)

Both are completely different solutions to completely different problems - the sound card is AC coupled, so your divider would do absolutely nothing - just a coupling cap is all you require (and you may not even need that - but I would include one).

Nigel Goodwin said:
Both are completely different solutions to completely different problems - the sound card is AC coupled, so your divider would do absolutely nothing - just a coupling cap is all you require (and you may not even need that - but I would include one).

OK, very good to know. But again--what if I wasn't feeding a soundcard, but something not AC-coupled?

My line of thinking was this: if the circuit I'm feeding may not be AC coupled, would the output divider provide a useful ground reference for it, or would a coupling cap be a better answer? I'm assuming that my buffer and the device I'm feeding have separate grounds.

If not, then what would an example be of a problem the divider would solve?

Torben

It all depends EXACTLY what you're trying to do, and EXACTLY what you're trying to it with.

Assuming you were using a PIC analogue input, that accepts input voltages from 0V to 5V (assuming standard minimum settings). If you're wanting to use that as a scope type input, you would want an input range of +2.5V to -2.5V. To do this you could bias the PIC input at 2.5V - however, you would normally do this in the opamp feeding the PIC, not with a potential divider direct to the pin - which would effectively reduce the input impedance of the A2D.

Thank you! I think that answers my question.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back