Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound from the PC to several speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthugr

Greetings,

I am trying to build a project that will enable the user to select a stored mp3 or wav file and play the sound to 4 speakers. The user must be able to mute whichever speaker he likes. I have almost finished the design of the user interface but I have some design difficulties with the hardware. Which is the best and easy way to implement this? Should I use the soundcard or build circuit from scratch (amplifier, etc)? Thank you in advance,

Danny G.

5.1 sound cards tend to have lots of speaker outputs. 5 or so ? - When you say designed interface ? Program ? If so then what is it written in?

Most cards will have an api which may have volume control functions for the various outputs. You would have to research the various card to make sure the available API had the functions you require.

Regards the AMP vs Soundcard - depends on how loud you need it - though my vote would be to use the soundcard with API programming - then chuck it out though a 4 channel amp.

Thank you for the quick reply! I have designed a part of the user interface in Visual C++. The speakers would be really small in size (they will be put into a manikin and the wav files from the PC will simulate several heart diseases). The thing is that I want to be able to play a wav file to all the speakers at the same time and mute any speaker I like.

Regarding your suggestion (use the soundcard, then an amplifier), the only problem is that the number of speakers in a later design might be increased, so the outputs of a 5.1 soundcard will not be enough. Thank you again for the reply and please give me any feedback you think it is useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back