Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sound activated timer with a buzzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate more on what you are trying to do?

ken

I am a youth football coach with limited funds. I saw a drill timer that i would like to replicate.The Whaley coaching timer **broken link removed**
starts at $425.
More video links on youtube.

I want to be able to set the timer at less than a second or more. Start the timer with the first sound ( a whistle or voice). when the timer hits zero, a loud alarm goes off. I saw this switch online **broken link removed**. I thought it may be possible.

Interesting! What's the maximum time?
The sound activated circuit could be used for a trigger. It would require a presettable down counter like this: **broken link removed** And, a 10Hz clock for a 999.9 seconds or a 100Hz clock for a 99.99 second timer. I haven't found a kit for that...yet. ;) Probably, the whole thing for less that $50.

Ken

Last edited:
The maximum time required would depend on the sport. Imagine a swimmer or a runner working alone trying to beat his last lap time. Most football plays are relatively short. There would be a tremendous need for a low cost timer such a this. Thanks for your interest.

I've delayed getting back to you because I've been mulling over an ethical question with this. Its pretty obvious that Whaley has invested time and money in the design, manufacturing, and marketing of his device. I didn't see any indication of copyright or patent, but he certainly has some intellectual property rights. The electronic operational concepts behind this type of device are not complicated, and with a small, cheap microcontroller it would be simple electronic design. Thought there is a cost in making it into a usable physical unit. I do not mind helping you create a one-off for your own use, but when you mention: "There would be a tremendous need for a low cost timer such a this." I get the feeling that you might be considering taking a design and going commercial with it. So giving you existing, off-the shelf kits that can be combined with some understanding of the overall design and for you to find someone who can put it all together to simulate the concept for your use is within my comfort zone.

I had someone copy a design of mine for commercial sale without asking permission or offering compensation for my efforts.

If you think there is a large, low end (how low?) market you might approach Whaley about producing it.

Ken

$425 for about $50-$75 worth of electronics

If this timer is good then for sure the Chinese will start making them for a lot less.
Using a PIC would be the easiest method to build a unit that does the same thing.
I want to look at the datsa sheet that I downloaded and maybe conjure up something.
I am wanting to build a similar timer for pinewood derby drag racing but instead of sound activated have it activated by a photo detection device.
same basic principle

The original idea was mine. Even though Whaley though it and produced before me. His product does not satisfy all of my needs (low cost for one). Who owns the hamburger, McDonald's or Burger King. The Idea belongs to no one. Besides, why would I place my question on a public forum if that were the case. Tremendous need could also mean free.
Thanks for all your interest.

What all do you want on it

the count down timer is a cake walk.
the buzzer is no big deal
I can't believe people pay $425 for this unit!!
I guess there is one born every day.
Have several ideas on implementing this unit. Just need to develop code and parts availability etc.
What else you want on the menu?

I don't think I want to get in the middle of a Concept/Design/Product dispute.

Ken

Last edited:
aw liven up Kmoffet

its only a simple countdown timer with presets.
have you seen the movie about the intermediate windshield wipers?
good movie about the guy who invented them and the big three ripped him off until he went to court 20 years later and won but in the mean time he lost his home and wife.
He died before he collected all that was awarded him in the lawsuit.
This unit could be build using a simle 7555, a BCD to seven segment display and a programmable up/down counter.
lets see a 555, 7400, 74192 and a 7447. just cascade or use a BCD rotary switch and your in bussiness.
of coarse go with cmos technology and an LCD display but the display isn't really needed. just have each position on the BCD rotary switch count as .10 seconds then add a toggle switch so instead of .10 -1.5 seconds you have .20 seconds to 3 seconds.
BUT using a PIC would simplify things greatly.

...have you seen the movie about the intermediate windshield wipers? good movie about the guy who invented them and the big three ripped him off until he went to court 20 years later and won but in the mean time he lost his home and wife.
He died before he collected all that was awarded him in the lawsuit.

So...this demonstrates what ethical concept? ;) You could also throw in the story about the Sears employee that invented the quick release ratchet wrench. In the end, the ones that stole intellectual property gained more than they paid out.

I comfortable with not having to "liven up" :)

Ken

Last edited:
Never herd about the sears employee

an idea is good
they are a dime a dozen.
its making an idea into a reality that counts.
In the instance of a simple countdown timer there are probally 10 different ways to implement this unit.
This Whatley guy just got his to market.
now for one to redesign it, make it better, simpler or more cost efficient thats a whole new story and a different end product.
an idea is not proprietary in my book. you can't claim its yours unless you designed and market a product. and then in today's modern world the idea of a patent is kinda out the window.
If you build a timer using two transistors then I come along and design one and build it using a few IC's, did I steal your idea or improve the product?
Then the next guy designs and builds one using a PIC
can you claim all three timers as yours?
chill out there are more important things in life and besides life is too short as it is.

"I start where the last man left off."
Thomas A. Edison
"There's a way to do it better - find it."
Thomas A. Edison
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas A. Edison

Early bird catches the worm, eventually that bird is eaten by the worm's sister. it all works out.

You got that right

the early bird gets the worm.
I like your quote of Thomas Edsion and overalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back