Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony ICF-SW07 Multi-band Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

synaptic

Hi Folks

My beloved Sony short wave died on me the other day after 20 years of faithful service , all over the planet.

Symptoms : Batteries ran out .... I replaced them ... then NOTHING ... no clock , no sound ,no display.

Mains supply is the same , in both cases , only the back-light works , so I am ruling out power failure
and/or bad contacts .
It has always been treated with care and been protected from damp , dust , grit etc .

I've always been pretty handy at fixing almost anything electronic but I'm really out of my depth here.
I dismantled it , and I managed to get a service manual download but other than schematics , it's not much help .
I looked online and earlier models had a problem with the ribbon cable to the display , but in that case , you still
get sound ...... this is just DEAD !

Has anyone here ever worked on one of these ( or a similar radio ) ?

Any hints or help or suggestions would be MASSIVELY appreciated !

all the best
Synaptic

Find a fuse?

When everything goes out, first suspect is the power supply.

I agree ..... a lifetime spent working in electronics has taught me never to discount the obvious .

But as I said in my post
Mains supply is the same , in both cases , only the back-light works , so I am ruling out power failure
and/or bad contacts .

New batteries , then tried it with mains adapter ..... back-light works but nothing else ....
ergo the unit has power .

Thanks for replying though :)

I've checked on Sony Assist for you, nothing on there, not even the service manual :(
Thank you Nigel
I can't say I'm surprised , these radios were made in small volumes and sold into a niche market ...
ie . to people who did a lot of traveling but still wanted a quality SW set on hand, and this was reflected in the high price .
Of course , this was in pre-internet days :)
Incidentally , I did manage to find a free download for the so-called Sony " service manual "
and schematics here :-

http://smanuals.com/

It looks like a great site and covers a wide range of electronic equipment of many types , brands and models
.... it may be good of use to other ETO readers , so please repost the link if you think it's appropriate.

Anyway , many thanks for checking that for me .
I really appreciate your time and effort .

Last edited:
A bit late on this..... Most likely the ribbon cable is severed. Not sure of where to find one but it can be done!

poikaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back