Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some LED room-lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxerman

I'm thinking of providing some LED lights in my room, to be used now and then, apart from the primary CFL I have. I plan to have a cluster so that I can walk around in the room by their light or sit in a lit corner and read a book.

I wanna use PWM to be able to control their brightness too (via a 555 i guess). How many LEDs might I need to use in a cluster for some decent reading light? Also, since they're like kinda directional, I'll need to use some shaped reflectors too, right?

Don't quite know where to start.. Pl suggest something :D

How many you need depends upon the LED type you use and how much light you need. There are some very high brightness types that may only require a few (or even one). The standard high brightness types would likely require several to a dozen or more. I have seen some LED lamps that operate directly from 110V and use about a dozen LEDs which is stated to give the brightness of about a 30W bulb. Since the light from the LEDs is directional, I'm sure that's enough light to read by.

Since they are already directional, why would you want to add a reflector? A diffuser might be more appropriate.

LEDs do not shine much light but the extremely small dot produces enough light to blind people if they look at it.
Maybe in the future lights will have many LEDs to spread out the brightness. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs today.

This IS the future. I got an e-mail notice of a reply here but there is no reply.
I saw LED light bulbs with a cost of $25.00 each! My compact fluorescent light bulbs work fine for many years and cost less than $2.00 each.

This IS the future. I got an e-mail notice of a reply here but there is no reply.
I saw LED light bulbs with a cost of $25.00 each! My compact fluorescent light bulbs work fine for many years and cost less than $2.00 each.

The post was deleted, as it was spam.

I've replaced all my CCFL's with LED bulbs, they cost £7.00 odd each, but use half the power of CCFL's, give a much brighter whiter light, and don't take ages to get to full brightness like CCFL's.

I've also replaced my fluorescent tubes with LED upgrades, same results.

My eyes LIKE the slow warm up of my compact fluorescent light bulbs, but not the ones outside last night when they were at -12 degrees C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back