Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solders 60/40,63/37. Why both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Just curious, why does 60/40 solder even exist when there is 63/37? I mean, 60/40 is so close to eutectic, why not just go all the way? Not only that, 60/40 seems to be more popular...why?

I think that 60/40 solder came first, before they found out that 63/37 is better.
Maybe in the beginning of solder they couldn't control the percentage very well.

You can't even buy lead solder from Maplin anymore.

However companies very often still use it just for prototyping as it's easier to work with.

In Canada we don't worry about lead-free solder yet. I have never seen any.

ROHS 2006 is not a worldwide directive; It is an arrogant European conceit. The effect is worldwide for companies that want to sell their products in Europe. Rather than maintain separate inventories most companies have decided to make compliant products.

There are two exceptions that I'm aware of. Companies that could care less about selling products in Europe and the US Department of Defense. They apparently don't want the reliability headaches of non-lead solder and lead free manufacturing especially in microwave components. Tin whiskers are a bear at UHF.

Papabravo said:
ROHS 2006 is not a worldwide directive; It is an arrogant European conceit. The effect is worldwide for companies that want to sell their products in Europe. Rather than maintain separate inventories most companies have decided to make compliant products.

Sorry, I forgot the USA aren't concerned about pollution, and expect the rest of the world to take action while they don't bother!.

I think there are certain exeptions when you can use leaded solder (like when there's no alternative), but you have to apply for it.

I don't mind leaded solder for hobbyists (I assume there are less electronics hobbyists than consumers so they junk less stuff and junk it less often). Nor do I mind it for high reliability things like military or aerospace. I do think that it should apply to regular consumer electronics that are bought by the masses and get junked very often...everywhere. I mean, wasn't that the whole point of ROHS? Mass consumer electronics being thrown in the landfill because they were getting outdated so quickly?

Solder only though. I think PCB traces and component leads should be lead-free.

Last edited:
At £49.90 for 2kg it isn't cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back