Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeytree

has any body got any tips on how to solder surface mount resistors there size is Length 2mm,width 1mm, height 0.5mm

monkeytree said:
has any body got any tips on how to solder surface mount resistors there size is Length 2mm,width 1mm, height 0.5mm

Very carefully :lol:

Use a VERY small pointed bit, small tweezers, and head mounted magnifers - and have lots of spare ones, you're likely to lose quite a few!.

all i did was have a closer look at them and lost three :D
how big is the chance that they will be engulfed by the solder?

Nigel Goodwin said:
You have to use very small amounts of solder, then there's no chance.

Using very small amounts of solder necessitates using very thin solder (0.5mm or less).
Possibly a flux pen might help too.

Another thing to watch out for is them popping up! You need to hold them down with the tweezers while you're soldering. Otherwise, when your iron melts the solder, it just pivots and raises like a toll road barrier when you stick in your change.

Get some reverse action tweezers - the kind that open when you squeeze them. It makes handling small things much easier.

Here's how I do 0603 components: Put a little bit of solder on one of the the pads (the bottom or right pad is usually easier if you'r right handed). Get the compenent in your tweezers so you can hold it flat against the PCB. Melt the solder you put on the pad and slide the component into the pool until the solder sticks. Let the solder cool and then let go with your tweezers (don't try to let go while the solder is still melted it almost always will move your component). Now go back and solder the component to the other pad.

You could use solder paste or do what nigel said, very thin solder and tewzer's and a magnifing headset.

Or use a toaster oven.

I find that with solder paste I have a terrible time with the problem bonxer mentioned - the solder doesn't stick on one side ant the component sticks strait up - even when I use hot air. The iron and tweezers is much faster and more reliable for me.

I can confirm that bmcculla's method is the best that I've used. I'd do as he recommends...

bmcculla said:
I find that with solder paste I have a terrible time with the problem bonxer mentioned - the solder doesn't stick on one side ant the component sticks strait up - even when I use hot air. The iron and tweezers is much faster and more reliable for me.

I have not yet attempted to do any SMD soldering.

If I understand bmcculla's point correctly, he recommends that we don't use solder paste. I assume that the solder is resin cored, ie. has paste inside it.

Len

good job i got a hundred of each value because i only had to solder 8 and i lost 13(once you have droped them you cant find them agian)
thanks for the help i did as was commonly suggested and it was suprisingly easy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back