Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Irons - Soldering Stations - What's best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Hi Folks

Some of you will know, I'm new to this electronics game, but after listening to your advice I've had some success in the projects I've attempted.

I need some more advice ! I started off with a cheap Draper soldering iron that kept overheating and burning everything it touched so I 'invested' in an Avtex iron from Maplins on the basis that it was their most popular seller ! However, I've only had it a couple of weeks and whilst using it today I picked it out of the stand and the handle had melted to the extent that the iron is now a banana shape and probably dangerous to use. It had been on about 35 mins.
I'm thinking of investing in a Duratool D00675 soldering station that has a temperature control, presets and a 'sleep' mode £50+ worth.

I don't have lots of money, but £25 for two weeks worth is clearly not the answer. Any suggestions ??
Thanks

£25 for two weeks worth is clearly not the answer. Any suggestions ??
Take it back to Maplin, tell them that it is "Not Fit For Purpose" and that as per the UK "Sale of Goods Act" you want your money back.

It would help enormously if you had the till receipt or the credit card receipt. Otherwise you may be on a hiding to nothing.

JimB

A temperature controlled iron is definitely the way to go whether it's part of a "soldering station" or not.

Morning Guys

Yes JimB, I'm quite clear that the Avtex iron will need returning with the receipt for a refund, not a problem. But that doesn't solve the issue of what is best to get for a reliable replacement.

I did some reading of archive posts on here and got the impression that temperature controlled irons that are not part of a soldering station, that is the control is in the handle, have issues with accurate control and something to do with LEDs that I haven't understood yet. Also, some of them seem to have an oversized shaft & big chisel shaped tips which I see as a problem - when I was born they didn't have any fingers in stock so they used Sainsburys pork sausages, any extension of that to what I'm working on is to be avoided at all costs !!!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen/used the Duratool Station and is willing to offer a review ?

Thanks for your help guys

I have a cheap Tenma from CPC that has served me well.

They don't do my particular model anymore but this one, among others, at £40.00 looks OK and there are a good selection of tips available.

I've used a cheap and simple iron from Rapid for ages (**broken link removed** model, I think) - my first tip lasted me the best part of ten years. Although it's great for light work on stripboard etc, you'll need something more beefy (50W or so) for larger components on multi-layer boards, especially now we're all going lead-free.
I was going to say you can't go far wrong with a Weller magnastat-type iron (there's very little to go wrong in there), but a quick survey on eBay showed that they're pretty pricey, even second-hand. At work we use the Metcal (now Oki) irons, which are very good, but another step up in price again.
As tronitech hinted, it would be prudent to try and get a tool that is (and will remain) well supported with spare tips.
I'm not convinced how much of a bonus an adjustable-temperature iron is, but my advice would be definitely to go for a low-voltage (not mains) iron with some kind of thermostatic control.

I have always been partial to Pace Europe soldering equipment, however that's an expensive hobby all of it's own :)

There is a cheap rework station that is doing the rounds here just now, the GQ5200 with hot tweezer addon. It's got fairly good reviews and would get you into the smd realm when you're ready for not a lot of money. Most of the standard Hakko style tips fit the handle too, which is a bonus. I have never owned or used one though, so I wouldn't like to comment on just how good they are, but the specs, on paper at least, tell me it's a half decent entry level station for not a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back