Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Powered Battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tydude

Okay, I am making a solar powered battery charger and I need some help. I have the solar cell which outputs about three volts in direct sunlight. I am planning to hook it up to a diode and a resistor to the battery. My question is will my battery overcharge and get destroyed? What should my resistor reduce the output of the solar cell to? Any help would be appreciated.

tydude said:
Okay, I am making a solar powered battery charger and I need some help. I have the solar cell which outputs about three volts in direct sunlight. I am planning to hook it up to a diode and a resistor to the battery. My question is will my battery overcharge and get destroyed? What should my resistor reduce the output of the solar cell to? Any help would be appreciated.

I think more information is need to really be a help to you. Size (capacity in amp hours) and voltage of battery is important. Amperage of the solar cell at full output is also needed. Also what load you are running and it's duty cycle will tell you if it's even a realistic proposition.

Lefty

What type of battery? Lead-acid, Ni-Cad, Ni-MH or Li-Po.
I hope you are not trying to charge disposable alkaline battery cells.
You are not going to charge a 12V car battery.
See, you forgot to say what kind of battery and its spec's.

Ni-Cad battery cells are old. New ones are Ni-MH with a much higher capacity of 2500mAh for an AA size cell. Does your old Ni-Cad cell still work?

It needs a charging current of 90mA for 14 hours. The sun doesn't shine for 14 hours so a full charge will take longer than 1 day.

How much current can your solar cell output at noon in summer if it is pointing directly at the sun?
A window will reduce the current to about half and so will a time before or after noon, and if the solar cell is not pointing directly at the sun, and if it is not summer or if it is cloudy.

I don't think you need the resistor, solar panels have high internal resistance and so you can even short circuit it with an amp meter and it won't damage the panel, if you use a resistor you might loose valuable power also consider charging 2 NiCD or NiMH batteries and use a skotchky diode as it have a voltage drop of 0.2 volts rather than 0.6-0.7 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back