Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar :garden light

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoneil

Hi, guys i am building a solar garden light, with LED of around 1 or 2 watt,
wat kind of rechargeable batteries can i use , if i want a backup of around 8-10 hrs..

thanks in advance.

What's the voltage and current rating of the LED you're using?

The voltage will determine how many cells you need, and the current times the backup time will determine the Ah/mAh rating of the battery.

So, for example, if you are using a 4 volt LED that draws 300 mA, using 1.2V NiMH cells you would need 3.33 cells (make it 4) and to get 10 hours you'd need a 3000 mAh capacity. (C sized cells).

Seems like a lot for a solar garden light... most solar garden accent lights are a fraction of the wattage, usually 1-2 miniature white LEDs that draw 1/10th the power. The solar panel is going to have to be several inches square to produce enough power to charge the batteries.

Last edited:
How big do you want it to be?

As mentioned above, a solar panel capable of recharging the batteries it going to be quite large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back