Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar for water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

I have a small battery driven water pump, for an 18.9 liter water jug. It takes 2 x 1.5 D batteries. I'm using duracells and they've lasted a long while.

I would like to try a bit of DIY solar and run this pump that way.

I have some limited abilities in electronics, but after lurking for a while, this appears to be the place to learn a lot.

Does anyone know of something cheap and dirty? Or better?

Check some science/military surplus magazines. my favorite is AS&S

Relic said:
I have a small battery driven water pump, for an 18.9 liter water jug. It takes 2 x 1.5 D batteries. I'm using duracells and they've lasted a long while.

I would like to try a bit of DIY solar and run this pump that way.

I have some limited abilities in electronics, but after lurking for a while, this appears to be the place to learn a lot.

Does anyone know of something cheap and dirty? Or better?

if the pump runs on 3v worth of alkaline batteries then converting it to solar shouldn't be a problem. replace the two alkaline batteries with three NiMH or NiCad batteries and get yourself a cheap 12volt solar panel. Don't worry about hooking up a 12v panel to 3.6v worth of batteries - it will not cause any harm. Connect the cells to the batteries through a rectifier diode (1n4001 or whatever, it doesn't really matter). Should be able to get this done for under $20 US, probably a lot less if you shop around on the solar panel.

Thanks Marks. Good link for a lot of hardware, etc..

Just DIY, that's the kind of thing I was looking for.

Now this will demo my limited abilities in electronics. (embarrassment looms)

Which way do I point the diode? Is that all there is to it? No need for any other parts or circuitry?

I can assemble and do bread board type stuff, I know very basic stuff like how to use a vom, etc.. Knew more at one point, but drifted away.

Now, I'm in revival mode.

Relic,

the diode points toward the batteries and you place it on the positive wire coming from the panel.

this website is almost identical to what you want to do:

http://solorb.com/elect/solarcirc/aacharge/index.html

that person decided to use individual solar cells instead of a panel, either way is ok. I don't think buying raw cells is any cheaper, and certainly not as easy to work with.

these guys have a lot of surplus solar at low prices

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.c...chprods.asp?txtsearch=solar&ProductSearchBy=2

Thanks DIY!

That's exactly what I wanted.

There's a couple of places nearby that have cheap panels in that range.

I'll start on it later today.

I'll tell you when I get it working.

those are all thin film, aka pricey and inefficient

it would be cheaper to pay international shipping and get one from the US, esp since your buck is worth more than ours right now.

i like this one, although it is a bare panel, so you'll need to build some sort of enclosure for it

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16390

this one looks good ... the cell is potted in resin, so it's weatherproof and somewhat durable, plus the leads are already soldered on

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G4528

I like the 6 x 6. I think I'll get 2 and have one to try something else with.

The 2nd thing I wanted to tackle was our electric toothbrush.

Are you familiar with their recharge unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back