Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar battery charger sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all, this is a design concept and I am looking for inputs to refine it before trying to make it:

Battery charger sharing.
Often people have a ratio of multiple batteries to a single charger, especially those who have solar storage systems. Sometimes the charger might be an efficient and more costly MPPT unit.

How then to easily maintain multiple batteries which have multiple possible loads on different circuits?

Manual switching is one way.

I propose an automatic modular system that permits plugin, low drain, relay (or SSR) modules to manage switching the charging source to multiple batteries in a sequential manner or in a manner that permits battery prioritization. I envisage modules available in quad battery configurations with the master system accepting up to 4 add on modules for a maximum of 16 independent battery circuits.

The system sits between the charging source and multiple batteries, analyzes the current drawn by the charging battery (as well as its terminal voltage) and determines when the battery has achieved a high charge percentage before moving on to assess another battery. Also an indicator for which battery is being charged is included as is a manual over-ride for selecting which battery to charge.

Compatible Battery Bank voltages of 12 and 24V could be standard. Electronic 'fusing' (user set amperages to match the battery) for over current conditions can be a feature. A display of the active battery voltage and charge current can be a feature. Simple Visual indicators (LED blink speed) to high light the top 3 Wh consuming circuits.

A data log of the Watt hours delivered to each battery over the most recent one month period can be maintained for USB uplink or onto a micro SDcard.

A potential Wifi interface to a mobile app for monitoring and manual interventions as an upgrade.

Any thoughts?

I think most off-grid systems use a single battery bank. I cannot think of any reason why you would need multiple banks except that if your system is too big for a single bank, but such a big system would never be 24 (yet alone 12V). Usually people have mutiple solar chargers connected to the same battey bank.

Switchng DC is costly. SSRs are lossy. Just calculate the losses in 100A SSR - this will be enough to run a small fridge. DC realays capable of high currents around 100A are terribly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back