Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

softer start for dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redge2

I have a dc motor that comes from a 18V corless drill. I made a small waterpump that will pump maybe 10minutes at a time 5times a day maybe 20 days a year.
I use the motor to drive the pump. The problem is it has a very thin shaft and becuase it starts at full speed immidiately when it starts, it breaks may attachement to the waterpump. It draws 1.12 amps at full speed,I use a 12v battery to drive it. Is there a simple electronic circuit I can build to cause it to get to full speed in maybe .5 seconds or 1second instead of immidiate full speed? So that there is not so much force on my attachment mechanism?
It does not have to be variable, just soften the initial start every time.

The obvious answer is a small PIC driving a suitable FET (needs to be a LOT bigger than 1.12A) with PWM. The software in the PIC simply needs to slowly increase from zero to full power over however long you want it to take, easily adjustable in the software.

Or if you don't have PIC stuff, an Arduino would be a simple choice, as it's a complete system rather than just a chip.

There's an example you could work from here:

But that uses a small motor and a small transistor, you would need a decent size FET in it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back