Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft starter for ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

when i first turn on my atx which powers a greenhouse, which gets nowhere near the maximum current rating, however, when i first turn it on it has a current spike and turns off.

solution, soft starter. What would be a very very simple circuit for a soft starter or something else to prevent the short circuit from tripping.

What i am powering is a set of LED bars which trips sometimes when i turn on, but not always, and also a boost converter that ups to 24v for a fog machine. its 24v 500ma, its low power, but the boostconverter has to load up its capacitor or something which is probably what does it in.

As for the led bar, i have no idea why it would cause a trip i didnt think LED's caused spikes when turning on, but seems i was wrong.

Also, ill mention this is 4x 12v 1A led bars, and the atx can handle 18A

If the power supply is shutting down right after turn on, and the load is within it's capacity, then you may have a faulty power supply.

I'm going to have to agree with the questionable power supply answer.

I am guessing it's a modified ATX that was originally designed for computer use. If so there are a good percentage of them that do not take being repurposed to other applications nearly as well as the average internet searches would suggest or imply.

Exspecially so when they are being repurposed to work primarily as medium to high current 12 volt power sources without having their 5 and 3.3 volt outputs proportionally loaded up. Without a proper load ratio on the 5 and 3.3 volt outputs the internal feedback loops can not compensate for a heavy 12 volt load without overshooting the 5 and 3.3 volt circuits which is what most often causes them to trip out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back