1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

soft starter by using thyrister with arduino

Discussion in 'Arduino' started by hamza taj, Jan 3, 2018.

1. hamza taj

hamza taj New Member

asalam o allikum

I am planning to start building a soft starter by using arduino which can control inrush current of three phase induction motor.

by using Arduino I don't know how to trigger the thyristor.i don't have any code or relevant data of this project.

can anyone know about it?????????

2. MikeMl

MikeMl Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Use optical-isolation between the Arduino ports and the gates of the thyristors. Only safe way to do it...

3. MaxHeadRoom78

MaxHeadRoom78 Well-Known Member

I built one for a Universal motor, but a 3ph one is called a soft start contactor. They can be purchased ready made.
    See the Fairchild app note AN-3006 for suitable opto's . you will need a Random phase type for each phase, rather than zero crossing version.
    Max.