Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Socket an Arduino Pro Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I would like to socket an Arduino Pro Mini and have it be low profile.
All I have are headers with long pins.

Should I use these and what are the mates for it?
Do you know the part numbers?

40pin.jpg

Those are for small pins such as ICs, or special turned-pin headers - they will not take standard square pins.

If you have a board that does not yet have the pins fitted, you could use the matching pin strips in it, such as Harwin D01 series.
The larger diameter end fits the PCB, the smaller pins fit the socket strips:

Or another cheaper option is put normal square pin strips in from the top of the board, so the insulator is above rather than below. That will reduce the height while allowing you to use normal cheaper socket strips.

You can also just push the pins through the insulating support one at a time, to get whatever length you need; eg. I did that on this little adapter & also with the insulator on top, as I wanted it to fit a ZIF socket on an eprom programmer & also be able to use wire wrap on the underside for links to the small socket.

The green board has some of the turned pin headers, to fit a similar socket strip to what's in your photo.

Pin headers.jpg

Those are for small pins such as ICs, or special turned-pin headers - they will not take standard square pins.

If you have a board that does not yet have the pins fitted, you could use the matching pin strips in it, such as Harwin D01 series.

It seems that these may be my only solution. They are a bit costly. I wonder if using wires for pins may work.

Are there other choices besides Harwin?
Also I can not locate sockets for these on DigiKey.

Last edited:
Try these?

I can't find any different make for the headers on digikey..

Normal copper component leads are probably too flexible and may kink rather than fit the sockets properly.
Some diodes have plated iron leads - but they must be thin, like from 1N4148, not rectifier diodes.
I've just tried the 4148s I have & they are iron - a magnet picks up the leads.

You would have to arrange the socket first to get the exact spacing and be sure its vertical, then put stubs of wire in every socket location.

Fit the arduino over all the pins, but add something below so its not touching the tops of the sockets - otherwise solder may flow in to them.

If you have some offcuts of stripboard or perforated board, you could use a piece of that fitted on first as a spacer, copper down, to separate the arduino solder joints from the sockets.

Of ever eg. three layers of that with the pins dropped in the appropriate rows, rather than the actual sockets, for soldering them in the arduino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back