Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS v Linear PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The linear supply will likely have sinusoidal ripple at 1x or 2x the power line frequency. So, look at the supply witch your scope AC coupled while measuring DC.

The resistance of the input terminals is a good first clue.

Some are AC. some just unfiltered DC and some are regulated DC and some are SMPS.

Morning NG .. ..

That's kinda disappointing .. .. I was hoping for raspberry! :D

S

Joking apart, whilst the information is always very useful, I have to say to everyone I have settled the issue successfully now .. S

If your ears still work well unlike mine, sticking your ear up to a linear wall wart you can hear the 50hz bzzz.

A smps can be electrically quiet, however due to the fact a lot of them are made to a price electrical noise if often greater.

Hi Dr P

LOL .. ..
If your ears still work well

Unfortunately, blind in both of them ! :)

I've found the most reliable test is the weight .. .. I've been through a box of wall warts collected over time and the linears are significantly heavier - transformer tonnage ..

Also, I'd find the linear bzzz difficult to distinguish from the 5ohz hum from my zimmer frame :D

Good to hear from you ..

S

I know. Remember when the quality of audio amplifiers (valve days) depended on the weight? The heavier the amp, generally the better the amplifier?

Huh !

There's only you and I old enough to remember that Kiss !

S

Edit: As the actress said to the Bishop !

Maybe, however I have a small collection of valve radio's and a couple of telly's.
I know the diffrence between a triode and a pentagrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back