Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smoothing the DC supply......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I have a circuit for use on trucks and cars.

I have attached a pic of the circuit, The part vaules are as follows

D1 = GF1A
C7 = 1uf 35v Tantalum
C15 = 33uf 35v Tantalum
CHK1 = A814AY-330M

My questions are:

1) Is this design OK for smoothing in a vehicle application?

2) The Maximum current (peak) is 2amp but only for a short period and not very offten if at all, so are the ratings OK.

Thanks

Attachments

• circuit_386.jpg
    circuit_386.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 523
It depends on how much ripple or variation the load can tolerate - and also what the input voltage might be (AC, DC, noise). Some electronic circuits are fairly forgiving because of on board filtering/regulation - others are not. A DC motor is probably not going to be affected by much.

So, would you say this circuit is acceptable?

Thanks for the info, so do you think this is OK?

If anyone with automotive power experience is out there, do you think this soomthing circuit well do most vehicles?

Thanks

Re: So, would you say this circuit is acceptable?

Scarr said:
Thanks for the info, so do you think this is OK?

If anyone with automotive power experience is out there, do you think this soomthing circuit well do most vehicles?

Thanks

It depends entirely what you want to use it for, do you have a particular purpose in mind?. As you are starting with a pretty stable DC source, it's more a question of reducing noise down the HT rail than anything else. Car radio's tend to include an internal choke and decoupling capacitors in much the same circuit.

Used for....

Its used for a little circuit which includes PIC, bit of TTL logic 4066, some I2C eeprom memory GSM and GPS

Thanks

The GPS and GSM have there own regulator further down the line as does the ret of the 5v stuff.

Thanks

Re: Used for....

Scarr said:
Its used for a little circuit which includes PIC, bit of TTL logic 4066, some I2C eeprom memory GSM and GPS

Thanks

The GPS and GSM have there own regulator further down the line as does the ret of the 5v stuff.

Thanks

All of this sounds pretty low consumption, and they should all have their own supply regulators - the circuit you posted should be fine, in fact probably not really needed at all, but it's always as well to take care with in-car electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back