Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD LED's - Vf, If

Status
Not open for further replies.

arhi

I have bunch of SMD LED's (mostly green and red, few white and few blue ones).. some are 0.6 some 0.8mm

The problem I have is, I have no idea what the voltage dropout is for those, what is the optimal and what is the maximal forward current, how long I can drive them with maximal forward curent .. etc etc ..

Is there any way to measure this values (Vf I can probably measure with voltmeter but how to know optimal forward current) ? Is there "standard" for SMD LED's or trial & error is the only way to go?

With out looking most small LEDs use a maximum of 20mA.

Go to digikey.com
Part number search window type in “LEDs”
Page down to Optoelectronics and click on LEDs -<75mA
You can select which type of LED to look for. Under Package/Case I selected 0805 just to pick a small SMT type. Click on Apply Filter.
I selected RED and Applied the Filter and now there are only 137 red 0805 LEDs.
To get to a data sheet faster I chose the Manufacture of Rohm.

At this point it looks like a RED LED needs 1.7 to 2 volts with a maximum of 20mA.
Select a part-number. Select Datasheets.

Now I see a datasheet for a series of Rohm LEDs in a small SMT case.

The shorter the wavelength the colour the higher the forward voltage will be.

Red will be between 1.7 to 2V.

Green will be between 2 to 3.3V depending on whether it's a blueish green or yellowish green.

Blue and white will be from 3 to 3.6V.

The forward voltage also varies depending on the current, for example a red LED might have a Vf of just 1.6V at 500:mu:A and 1.9V at 20mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back