Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD and Breadboarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

srobertjames

It seems like most of the new ICs are SMD only. What's the best way of adapting them to bread boards? I know there are adapters available, but there seem to be so many types of SMD packages and I don't know where to begin. Could someone recommend a few basic adapters (inexpensive) to get started breadboarding SMDs?

Some cheaper PCB adapters are available here. You need to solder header pins on them first.
I've seen others simply glue the SMD chips down and use fine wires to connect to the pins, point to point style.

If you can't make your own boards, then you have to get the adapters or there are breakout boards available from a lot of places. I'm sure Sparkfun makes most of its money on these breakout boards.

Do SparkFun's boards require soldering?

Can I use the same board for SOIC, SOT, uMAX, and all the other acronyms I see? Or do I need a different one for each?

(I can't yet solder and my apartment lacks the space to do it if I knew how...)

Depends on the form factor exactly, you'll need to look at the PDF of the chips you're using and find out their pin spacing and contacting points. Many chips come in more than one package type and they're not all incompatible with each other.

I'm not sure how your apartment can be too small to solder in. My temp controlled soldering station the helping hands with a small hobby vice fit in 1 square foot of space. You really can't do much without at least a basic soldering station.

The Sparkfun boards already have everything on it. They are meant to be little 'modules' that you can just wire together yourself how you want. The price reflects this though. Obviously the less you DIY the more you pay when building things like these. You can just check out the site. If they don't have a breakout board for the chips you want to work with, then you are out of luck and need to look at those adapters.

Everything is going SMD, though. DIP parts get fewer and fewer every year. If you plan to get into this, it would be beneficial to try making your own boards and practice soldering SMD's yourself. You can check youtube video's for instruction on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back