Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD 5050 UV LED part number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buk

I brought a string of UV LEDs to make a curing station, and I'm trying work out what the LEDs in the string are:

The look like this:
1638949139705.png

They look very similar to Cree RGB LEDs, but Mouser doesn't list any UV leds from Cree.

Its a 5050 package, but the only SMD 5050 UV LEDs Mouser lists are 270nm!?

Tried digikey and rscomponents, but neither found anything that looked right.

Are there better places to look?

(Also, there are obviously 3 seperate LEDs in the package and it safe to assume that they are wired in parallel with each other and in series with the 390Ω resistor?)

They look to be the same as these, but the site does not give much info..
Not a lot, but more than I had. It led me here.
1638955556095.png

Which is identical to the chips I've got.

Again not much information, but it does say:
  • Max. Forward Current: 20-60MA
  • Max. Forward Voltage: 3.0-3.6V
Which would explain why they appeared so dim when connected to USB 5V.

With that 390Ω resistor, I should be able to run these at 12 volts and 8mA without a problem?

With that 390Ω resistor,
39 x 10^0; 39 Ohms, not 390!

The total LEd current should be around 40 - 45mA depending on the exact LED voltage.

ps. If they are decent UV LEDs, most of the output will be invisible - be careful of your eyes, "Arc eye" is extremely unpleasant!!

39 x 10^0; 39 Ohms, not 390!
F'ing smd! Thanks.
Seems my perception of the low brigthness is correct, but because the USB port it was connected to can only supply 500mA; or 4 mA per LED.

The total LEd current should be around 40 - 45mA depending on the exact LED voltage.
I've detached one from the string so I can check the actual voltage drop & current draw.
ps. If they are decent UV LEDs, most of the output will be invisible - be careful of your eyes, "Arc eye" is extremely unpleasant!!

They are safely -- if currently, somewhat crudely -- contained inside a red coloured plastic container.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back