Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small question about Voltmeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hey,

I wanted to ask please, does a voltmeter know what is the + and what is the - of the DUT by sensing the direction of the current which flows through it when connected in parallel with the DUT?

Thanks.

It simply senses the polarity of the voltage, not the current. It likely senses whether the input is positive or negative with respect to the common lead with a comparator and adjusts the input polarity to the voltmeter circuit so it measures the voltage properly.

Thanks.

Isnt the voltage polarity set by the current flow's direction?

--
I mean, i thought that the only way to determine the voltage's polarity was to check the flow direction of the electrons.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Isnt the voltage polarity set by the current flow's direction?

--
I mean, i thought that the only way to determine the voltage's polarity was to check the flow direction of the electrons.

On a microscopic level, that's true. However, we think of things like comparators and op-amps as voltage devices. It just makes analysis easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back