Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small electromagnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomwest

I am looking for a source for small round electromagnets of about 8 or 10 mm in diameter and maybe 6 or 9 volts.Anybody know where I can buy them.

Thanks,

Tom

can you explain little more? there are many kind of electro megnets, did you mean a toroid coil by telling round? or radially wound? if you can post a sketch or tell your application some one can direct you.

It would be radially wound and working on a very simple circuit energised by a 6 or 9v battery.The diameter of 8 or 10 mm is the external casing diameter.I need about 50 of these and a low cost is important. Thanks

And you don't know what the current will be, or the pulling force and/or magnetic field required. The length is either obvious or unknown. Your application is a secret, of course.

So far, an empty piece of 3/8" i.d. pipe would meet your requirements.

Tomwest... make them.... 38 gauge enameled wire, wrapped tight around a pin core, core is irrelevant at that scale.

Last edited:
let us know what it will do when energized? will it hold some thing? or trigger any mechanical arrangement? you better can chose from 6v or 9v tiny relays those are available in local market.

if your application is more specific then you should provide more information.

I am new to this forum and i think i like it already, some quiet witty guys in here.
My application is not a secret but it could be one of the following;

1 Board game i am trying to develop
2 Mini Hadron Collider
3 Automatic zipper

I just want the electromagnet to attract a small metal ball when its energised or possibly repel a permanent magnet (of opposite pole).I am assuming electromagnets attract and repel other magnets depending on how the polarity is connected.To sum up, its basic low spec electromagnets I need and i dont know the current or pulling force yet.Sorry for been so vague as its only an idea I'm working on and its in its infancy.

why dont you open a comercialy available relay of 6V or 9V? and have a trial by its solenoid? you can find with different wizes and can get different megnetic strength. i hope you may have a local spare shop near by.

it has soft iron core and can serve you as you discribed.

Last edited:
why dont you open a comercialy available relay of 6V or 9V? and have a trial by its solenoid? you can find with different wizes and can get different megnetic strength. i hope you may have a local spare shop near by.

it has soft iron core and can serve you as you discribed.

That sounds like a good idea to get it tested and see what works and it should be cost effective.Thanks for info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back