Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small DC motor/generator shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have aplay by all means, brushes in most motors except expensive ones are not replaceable.
Yes a lot of motors are not intended be serviced at all and the body is crimped, riveted or held by tabs. These can normally be prized open with a bit of ingenuity though. But the welded types are practically impossible to open without damaging the innards.

spec

Last edited:
For educational purposes very easy to turn a Universal motor into a shunt field generator, also run it as a motor on DC and see the effect of loss of field when running.
Also get it to generate without initial field excitation.
Max.

For educational purposes very easy to turn a Universal motor into a shunt field generator, also run it as a motor on DC and see the effect of loss of field when running.
Also get it to generate without initial field excitation.
Max.
Max
Surely you would need an exciting current to use a universal motor as a generator. If I am right, that would rather defeat the purpose, just to light a few LEDs.
spec

No, as many shunt wound generators work, and Edison's original, it uses residual magnetism to pull itself up.
You need to parallel the field for shunt connection.
Once the generator has output it supplies its own field.
In this case you would either need suitable series resister with the field or govern the RPM for voltage output.
Max.

Last edited:
No, as many shunt wound generators work, and Edison's original, it uses residual magnetism to pull itself up.
You need to parallel the field for shunt connection.
Once the generator has output it supplies its own field.
In this case you would either need suitable series resister with the field or govern the RPM for voltage output.
Max.
Thanks Max- I didn't know a universal motor would generate it's own field- something else I have learned from ETO. :)

spec

Learning a lot here. I started on brush motors since I heard years ago now that they were good to use(though not the extent of reasoning why) and easily available.

To refine I want to work with electric generating motors that would be worth long term use, worth buying, and if bought how to maintain and get the most out of.

Thanks everyone for so much input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back