Small cheap solder pot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a video where a guy machined a metal "donut" to fill the excess space of a solder pot. It doesn't need to fit precisely, just take up some space to reduce the amount of solder required.

You could do the same thing with a stack of washers, a bushing or a big nut.

Thanks, thats actually a cracking idea!
If i cant find smaller than 36mm will do that.
I guess i could even drop in small metal screws that i have lying around until the solder comes to the top.

Be careful on what you drop in the pot - some things will contaminate the solder, especially old screws that could have who knows what in the threads.

Edit - pot is 80mm on those ebay ZTX ones.

Last edited:
There are some YouTube videos about using a soldering iron to make a small solder pot, which may be of interest to you.

Do you know of any really small cheap ones? Just want to dunk one lead at a time, can be very small.
Just remember that it needs to be a lot bigger than the leads you are tinning (if eg. power cables) so the heat lost to each cable does not cool the pot down too much.

A larger on with bulk metal filling would be OK, as the filling metal still stores heat.

Heating of a mass:
V I t n = c m (delta t)
V=volts
I=current
t=time
n=efficiency
c=specific heat
m=mass
delta t=differance in temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…