Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slightly different question about stun guns. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeleton_keys

I've been experimenting with the stun guns I own, trying to lengthen the reach of the electrodes so they could be hooked into a glove. I've tried different wires and cables, cutting off the L-shaped electrodes and then soldering two wires in their places, each wire about four feet long. The stun guns themselves are supposedly 100KV, although I've heard all about how this is a myth and the actual voltage is much lower. I burnt out the first model somehow using solid 22 gauge wire rated at 300 volts. . .I don't know what burnt out, after a few days of testing the stun glove circuitry started just making that buzzing noise they do when the gun is firing but no charge can come out (like if you inserted an insulator between the prongs), then it just died completely. I was careful to only fire in 3 second bursts and give it rest time, so I'm not sure exactly what happened. I've had more success recently when I cut one end off of a power cord from a stereo, leaving the wall-plug intact on the other end, and touching the stun gun to the exposed stranded copper wires. The electricity flows freely between the metal prongs of the plug at the other end.

So basically what I'm trying to figure out is what a good kind of wire or cable would be to use that would extend out from the circuits for about four feet, be strong enough to handle a stun gun's voltage (anywhere in the 100K to 600K range?), be well insulated, yet very flexible. I figured stranded wire like the kind in the power cord is best, for the flexibility. Any ideas?

Also, if anyone can tell me about surge arrestors replacing the spark gap in the circuitry (which I saw on that one stun-gun-reviews site, but don't understand), specifically how you could go about switching them out or using them in a brand new circuit you build yourself, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back