Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slave Flave Units - Hot shoe info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbid

How does the hot shoe adapter actually work?

Meaning, if I wanted to trigger a flash unit with a hot shoe how could I do it? what is sent though the connector to initiate the flash?

Oops, wrong forum. Sorry.

Last edited:
Generically. It's brand dependant, and with modern digtal cameras I wouldn't bet on it.

The hot shoe has developed over time and is different from brand to brand, but fundamentally it is still the same. The main important parts are the big center connector and the chassis of the camera. I think from memory the center connector and chassis are a contacts normally closed switch, when the shutter is opened the contacts open (I am not 100% certain I have this the right way round) but it would be best to check this yourself with a multimeter.

The other smaller contacts on the hotshoe are specific from brand to brand for communication between the camera and the flash for exposure control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back