Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SK3018 germanium transistor from a 60's mopar car radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I know someone with a early 60's plymouth, I tried to repair the mopar am/fm radio a while back, the mixer osc transistor is dead, but its a sk3018 4 pin to18 type metal can device.
I tried a couple of alternatives, but with it being germanium and used as a mixer/osc is difficult to replace.
Any ideas on what I could do to sort this old radio out, being the original my mate wants to keep it.
(I thought he'd sold the car and mentioned this on another thread, but apparently not).

I know someone with a early 60's plymouth, I tried to repair the mopar am/fm radio a while back, the mixer osc transistor is dead, but its a sk3018 4 pin to18 type metal can device.
I tried a couple of alternatives, but with it being germanium and used as a mixer/osc is difficult to replace.
Any ideas on what I could do to sort this old radio out, being the original my mate wants to keep it.
(I thought he'd sold the car and mentioned this on another thread, but apparently not).

The problem is finding germanium transistors these days - the standard Mullard ones were AF117's, long obsolete, but for a while you could get AF127's to replace them.

The fourth wire is just the screening can, the most common failure with them was a short to the can, and you could almost always restore operation by simply cutting the fourth wire :D

The number on the original transistor could well be an in-house number, not something that you could ever find.

Maybe:

SK3018 sub.JPG

Claims to be suitable sub... NPN mixer.

Might need sheilding. And more drive.

I didnt fancy messing around with the biasing with this, which I'd need to for a silicon.

Didnt know about snipping the can lead, might try that, I did hear you could smack then with a 'driver to temporarily restore operation, that didnt work.

I didnt fancy messing around with the biasing with this, which I'd need to for a silicon.

Didnt know about snipping the can lead, might try that, I did hear you could smack then with a 'driver to temporarily restore operation, that didnt work.

Is it NPN or PNP?, the NTE list above suggests NPN, but from previous experience here it's not very often right :D

The ones I mentioned above were PNP, as most germanium transistors were.

The schem shows an npn.

I think of i look hard enough I have some ac127's, ones in a little ally block with a bolthole, though it may take too long to find, I also might have a couple of ocxx devices somewhere the ones with the black painted clear platic case, the ones you used to scrape the paint off and use as light sensors as a kid.

The schem shows an npn.

Are you sure it's germanium? - the 1970 Mullard Data Book shows no NPN germanium RF transistors at all - and I don't recall ever seeing one?.

I think of i look hard enough I have some ac127's, ones in a little ally block with a bolthole, though it may take too long to find, I also might have a couple of ocxx devices somewhere the ones with the black painted clear platic case, the ones you used to scrape the paint off and use as light sensors as a kid.

The AC127 is audio only, no ft listed for it, but the later AC187 lists an ft of only 5MHz.

There are numerous NPN silicon RF transistors listed back then though.

Atually I cant remember how I got to thinking its germanium.
I spose the way to find out would be to pull a good one and measure the vbe with a power supply and resistor

I guess that would depend on the number of beertokens required.
Thanks for the offer.

SK 3018 Mopar Auto Radio

1. SK3018 is an NPN high frequency SILICON transistor.
2. It crosses to an NTE/ECG 316 which is readily available.
3. That SK3018 is not original to that MoPar radio --someone has replaced it previously.
Good luck with it.

I cannot get the nte either, tried that at the time.
All the devices in the set as sk3018, except the o/p devices and they are shown on the parts list on the drawing I have.
To be honest I've spent that much time on this heap of junk I'd rather not return to it.

I cannot get the nte either, tried that at the time.
All the devices in the set as sk3018, except the o/p devices and they are shown on the parts list on the drawing I have.
To be honest I've spent that much time on this heap of junk I'd rather not return to it.

Hi dr pepper

Time is Money. Don't waste time on rubbish/ junk.

Ditch the stuff rather. ...but tell the Customer too. So you are all on the same Page.

You will be surprised at how understanding Customers can be if you tell the truth. You are not wasting their time or money.

Harsh as it might sound....it works. They will return ....to you.

Because they trust you. And not the chancer down the road......

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back