Size matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mention it... This one has a slight delay too. A fraction of a second. If you slide a soldering iron tip off an SMD pin, you feel it before you see it.

Hi C,
It has a better stand than mine.
Mine has a short delay, so I have to 'dock' the iron to the components, but I'm used to it now.
C
You might be surprised at how short a delay can still matter. Electronic scanning of histology slides isn't affected by such delays, but pathologists are. That's one reason I still trust in my magnifying visor. I also have an optical "dissecting" microscope, but haven't yet found the need to use it.

I use my cheapo electronic microscope only for making pictures.

John

Hi,
As mentioned, I used a hot air gun to solder the PIC, all seemed well , but there are faults (connected PINs) now I'm wondering if I heated the PIC too much?
C.

You mean solder bridges? Unlikely to be caused by overheating. I get them all the time unless I'm very careful. Bit of solder wick will clear them up.

I got a USB microscope (very cheap, about £5 I think) so I can read SMD markings. Hardly ever use it, I forget I've got it and use a small x10 magnifier, but then I'm looking at that through an illuminated x2 magnifier too! I really need to get round to building Shed-puter, then I might remember when I'm not having to balance the laptop on top of stuff... (end of ot rant...) But going back to the microscope, can't say I've noticed a delay with it.

Hi,
I have a solder station with hot air gun, and find that I alternate between gun and iron, depending on these situation.
Likewise, I have a magnifier, and microscope, which I also alternate between.

Regarding the fault! I removed the PIC (44PIN) and there was quite a mess under it, where the solder paste hadn't flowed properly, also there was far too much. I cleaned it off and replaced the PIC, where all of the pins were tested for contact and ok, but I did a quick program, which didn't flash the LEDs as expected. I'll try another test tomorrow.

EDIT: I had the oscillator wrongly set, now the LEDS flash ok, so it appears the PIC is ok
C

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the dentist binoculars sold on Ebay?
Magnification from 2.5x to 6x and working distance about 400mm.
I suspect the optical quality is not good, at least on the cheap ones.

Last edited:
Hi,
If you looked at my schematic and PCB, you will see connectors used to connect top and bottom tracks. This isn't a good idea, as it takes a long time and a lot of messing about.
I'll have a re--think.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…