Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Size matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mention it... This one has a slight delay too. A fraction of a second. If you slide a soldering iron tip off an SMD pin, you feel it before you see it.

Hi C,
It has a better stand than mine.
Mine has a short delay, so I have to 'dock' the iron to the components, but I'm used to it now.
C
You might be surprised at how short a delay can still matter. Electronic scanning of histology slides isn't affected by such delays, but pathologists are. That's one reason I still trust in my magnifying visor. I also have an optical "dissecting" microscope, but haven't yet found the need to use it.

I use my cheapo electronic microscope only for making pictures.

John

Hi,
As mentioned, I used a hot air gun to solder the PIC, all seemed well , but there are faults (connected PINs) now I'm wondering if I heated the PIC too much?
C.

You mean solder bridges? Unlikely to be caused by overheating. I get them all the time unless I'm very careful. Bit of solder wick will clear them up.

I got a USB microscope (very cheap, about £5 I think) so I can read SMD markings. Hardly ever use it, I forget I've got it and use a small x10 magnifier, but then I'm looking at that through an illuminated x2 magnifier too! I really need to get round to building Shed-puter, then I might remember when I'm not having to balance the laptop on top of stuff... (end of ot rant...) But going back to the microscope, can't say I've noticed a delay with it.

Hi,
I have a solder station with hot air gun, and find that I alternate between gun and iron, depending on these situation.
Likewise, I have a magnifier, and microscope, which I also alternate between.

Regarding the fault! I removed the PIC (44PIN) and there was quite a mess under it, where the solder paste hadn't flowed properly, also there was far too much. I cleaned it off and replaced the PIC, where all of the pins were tested for contact and ok, but I did a quick program, which didn't flash the LEDs as expected. I'll try another test tomorrow.

EDIT: I had the oscillator wrongly set, now the LEDS flash ok, so it appears the PIC is ok:)
C

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the dentist binoculars sold on Ebay?
Magnification from 2.5x to 6x and working distance about 400mm.
I suspect the optical quality is not good, at least on the cheap ones.

Last edited:
Hi,
If you looked at my schematic and PCB, you will see connectors used to connect top and bottom tracks. This isn't a good idea, as it takes a long time and a lot of messing about.
I'll have a re--think.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back