Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single Phase Half-wave Purely Inductive Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

billy ando

Anyone know the formular for the Mean voltage for a Single Phase Half-wave Purely Inductive Load? I can't find it anywhere and I need it for my homework. I'm not as much of a slacker as I sound.

The RMS value? [LATEX]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/LATEX] of the peak voltage, but it really doesn't matter if the load is inductive or not. Sure you are asking the right question?

Thanks for replying so quick. I can't beleive these forums actually work. Now I think about it it is not the right question, I've worked out Vmean as 0 which is right as the sin wave has an equal proportion in positive and negative over the cycle. But when I try and calculate current I get
Imean = Vmean/Z
Imean = 0L0°V/10L90°Ω
Imean = 0L-90°

As I'm trying to divide 0 by something I get zero. What I am doing wrong?

If you simply find the mean of any AC voltage (that has no DC offset) it will always be zero - which is useless, of course. You need to use the RMS of the peak voltage. Then you will get a non-zero number to calculate these other things.

Last edited:
In your (the OPs) original post you said it was a half-wave signal which to me means half-wave rectified. The average value (Vmean) is not zero. It's also not the RMS value.

Hint: The average value of a full-wave rectified sinewave is .637 of the peak (see this). I leave it as an exercise to the reader to calculate the value for a half-wave sinewave.

Another hint: The current through an inductor from a rectified sinewave is not AC, it is (pulsating) DC

Last edited:
Hi,

The average voltage over a full cycle is 0, but the average of the absolute value is 0.6366 approximately or 2/pi exactly and this often applies to the full non rectified wave too.
The average voltage over a full cycle of a half wave rectified signal is 1/pi exactly which is approximately 0.3183 .
The RMS voltage over a full wave is 1/sqrt(2) which is approximately 0.7071 .
The RMS voltage over a full cycle of a half wave rectified wave is 1/(2*sqrt(2)) which is approximately 0.35355 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back