Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sine wave output from crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notary Sojac

I built a dual-inverter crystal oscillator circuit, but the output is a bit less than sinusoidal. Adjusting the capacitor between the inverters cuts down the distortion a bit, but it's still obviously not a sine wave. What's the best way to go about this? A bandpass filter? I tried a ladder filter and that only seemed to make it worse, and I'm not familiar with any other filter designs that give the astronomical Q values required (oscillator is around 13Mhz).

Any suggestions?

You could use a narrow bandpass filter centered at the crystal frequency.

Alternately you could use an oscillator configuration that generates a waveform closer to a sinewave such as a Colpitts or Pierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back