Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulating transistor junction breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
Does anyone know if LTSpice has a bipolar transistor model which handles reverse-voltage breakdown of the base-emitter junction?

I believe the standard Spice transistor model does not support base-emitter reverse breakdown.

You can simulate it by placing a zener diode of the appropriate voltage back-to-back with a standard diode in parallel with the base-emitter junction. (The standard diode prevents forward conduction of the zener when the base-emitter junction is forward biased).

I thought there was no standard support but was hoping someone knew of a freely downloadable model which did. Thanks for the tip, Carl. My transistor theory is rather rusty (and Google's not very helpful on this); do you happen to know if reverse breakdown of the base-emitter junction is accompanied by reverse collector current (which would also need to be modelled) ?

I once put an NPN BJT in a circuit inverted i.e. collector and emitter swapped. The base was floating and the C was connected to a resistor/capacitor in parrallel to gnd while the E was connected to +15v. The circuit oscillated as a sawtooth, at a few kHz. The E-B would break down injecting current into the B which would turn the inverted NPN on, and it would stay on until the current decayed to a certain level then the transistor would reset. I asked an old Prof why it didn't recover immediately when the voltage dropped below the E-B breakdown voltage and he pointed out that C-E breakdown voltage is current dependent. All those SOA curves for BJT's. So a B-E breakdown can have other effects.

Ah, so reverse collector current does flow when the B-E junction breaks down. Thanks for the info, Moffy.

I'm not sure it would flow in all cases, as the biasing on my circuit was rather weird. It provided base current because the b-c junction was the new b-e junction, so the current was in the right direction. For a normal biasing arangement with say taking the base 7v below the emitter I'm not sure you'd get c-e current as the current flow is inverted to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back