Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianO

Hi, I`m a complete newbie to all this.

My project: synchronizing two discs using simple electronic circuits:

I have 2 revolving discs each with metal contacts placed at intervals along the disc`s circumferance. When the contacts on a disc pass under a pick up point above and separate from the disc, current from a 1.5 volt battery flows across the pick up points completing a circuit.

Problem 1:
Since the disc is revolving, the contacts will only complete the circuit for a short time (1 sec max.) and since it is revolving I have to choke current back so that the original circuit does not power up when other contacts pass under the pick up. Placing diodes in this first circuit will prevent a back flow of current but which type of diode for a 1.5 volt circuit?

Problem 2:
The completed circuit comprising the first disc must then open a switch so that a completely separate circuit comprising the second disk is powered on. Is there a simple electronic component with this switching function and which when powered on for this short time will then stay switched on, so that the second circuit can be completed by the contacts on the revolving second disc?.

If not, what type of inexpensive silent switch will do the job?

I`m not sure that I`ve explained this satisfactorily and it might be easier with a diagram but I would be grateful for any help or suggestions which any of you may have.
Thanks Brian

BrianO said:
Hi, I`m a complete newbie to all this.

My project: synchronizing two discs using simple electronic circuits:

I have 2 revolving discs each with metal contacts placed at intervals along the disc`s circumferance. When the contacts on a disc pass under a pick up point above and separate from the disc, current from a 1.5 volt battery flows across the pick up points completing a circuit.

Problem 1:
Since the disc is revolving, the contacts will only complete the circuit for a short time (1 sec max.) and since it is revolving I have to choke current back so that the original circuit does not power up when other contacts pass under the pick up. Placing diodes in this first circuit will prevent a back flow of current but which type of diode for a 1.5 volt circuit?

Problem 2:
The completed circuit comprising the first disc must then open a switch so that a completely separate circuit comprising the second disk is powered on. Is there a simple electronic component with this switching function and which when powered on for this short time will then stay switched on, so that the second circuit can be completed by the contacts on the revolving second disc?.

If not, what type of inexpensive silent switch will do the job?

I`m not sure that I`ve explained this satisfactorily and it might be easier with a diagram but I would be grateful for any help or suggestions which any of you may have.
Thanks Brian

How much current will flow through the contact point in your problem number 1? You can pick your diode based on how much reverse voltage it must withstand(when it is blocking current flow) this is the PIV rating you'll need to meet or exceed. And also pick a diode that can support the current flow you need when it is not blocking current.

You second problem sounds like it can be solved using relays. Since the systems moves so slow, an arrangement of one or more relays may get you the relay "logic" you need for a solution. I'm not sure what you mean by silent switch? If you mean you cannot tolerate a mechanical relay closure sound, then investigate solid state relays with the same requirements. I have to say, I don't fully understand what you describe can you draw a crude picture of the system and upload it?

Hi Optikon and thanks for your reply, I will make a drawing and upload over the weekend.
Thanks again for your time

BrianO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back