Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple solar tracker using Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikenr

Hi there good people,

My chinese solar tracker has lasted a couple of years, it's 'detector panels' died - I replaced them with glass ones instead of the original epoxy encased ones (that delaminated) and although the voltage is the same on both types it doesn't work.

I am very capable physically making an arduino based tracker, but I have never got my head around programming of any sort.....

So I have 2 'sensor solar panels' one facing East the other West, I have relays that I can use from the chinese tracker to control the linear actuator, and I have a good soldering iron and a lot of motivation to make this work :)

Here is a pdf of my plan https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZrS0yYp0IJzFV7vV0eTbwrl7zo4DK_XY/view?usp=sharing

and here is a photo of my panels on their tracker - the linear actuator is hidden by the panels in this photo

I don't know which type of arduino would be best to use - there is a 12v supply close to the panels as the linear actuator is 12v - I'm guessing an arduino uno, but I will go with whatever is recommended.

I am a pilot for a humanitarian NGO doing all our own maintenance on our planes, like I say for me fabricating, soldering etc is not a problem - it's just the programming that I struggle with ;)

Many many thanks in advance for any help/advice offered!

Attachments

• Solar_tracker_plan 2.pdf
    891.7 KB · Views: 219
In essence, you could base it around a "line follower" type setup - they work the same, comparing two photocell outputs and steering to maintain equal output.

You would have to add the time delays, but that's not so complex.

This example should give you a starting point:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back