Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple question about microphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatthe

i need to plug a tie clip microphone into a tv's AV inputs (audio obviously). When i plug it in there is no sound at all. I'm guessing i need a preamp, is this correct ?

whatthe said:
i need to plug a tie clip microphone into a tv's AV inputs (audio obviously). When i plug it in there is no sound at all. I'm guessing i need a preamp, is this correct ?

Yep!

whatthe said:

Yes, the output from a microphone is at an extremely low level, the AV inputs are at line level - you need a high gain microphone preamp.

Also, be aware you will probably need a video input to the TV as well (although you may already have one?), TV's commonly mute the sound without a video signal.

ok. i bought a preamp today from jaycar i have wired it all up but it's not working. when i use a 12vdc power supply it hums like crazy and if you tap the mic really hard you can hear the thump. i am using shielded cable. i thought the power supply might be causing interference so i then used a 9v battery and then there was no hum but if i hit the mic extremely hard i could here a faint thump. whats wrong ? below are amp specs and diagram of what i have done.

kemo m040 preamp
Specifications:
Operating voltage: 9...24 VDC
Frequency response: 10 Hz ... 100 kHz
Input: 2 - 50 mV
Output: 200 mV 1 V
Dimensions: 30 x 25 x 15 mm

mic specs:
Frequency response 20Hz - 16kHz- Sensitivity -65+/-3dB- Low Output Impedence- Directional Omni directional.- Size 30(L) excluding grommet x 13 (dia) mm

Attachments

• preamp_476.jpg
    preamp_476.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,031
whatthe said:
ok. i bought a preamp today from jaycar i have wired it all up but it's not working. when i use a 12vdc power supply it hums like crazy and if you tap the mic really hard you can hear the thump. i am using shielded cable. i thought the power supply might be causing interference so i then used a 9v battery and then there was no hum but if i hit the mic extremely hard i could here a faint thump. whats wrong ? below are amp specs and diagram of what i have done.

kemo m040 preamp
Specifications:
Operating voltage: 9...24 VDC
Frequency response: 10 Hz ... 100 kHz
Input: 2 - 50 mV
Output: 200 mV 1 V
Dimensions: 30 x 25 x 15 mm

50mV in and 1V out is only a gain of 20 times, and 2 to 200mV is only a gain of 100 times - this looks far too low for a microphone preamp. I'm also confused why it gives different gain figures like that?.

What is the preamp specified as?, also what is the input impedance?.

As for the hum, it sounds like your 12V PSU probably isn't much good, was it just a cheap wallwart supply?.

this is all it says

"for microphones and diverse uses. This mini-module is simply connected between a power amplifier and a weak signal source (e.g. microphone). "

the power supply is off a very old mobile phone

maybe i should try this turntable preamp,but it looks like it has even less gain ?
**broken link removed**

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV- Input impedance: 47kohm @ 1kHz- Output: 180mV- Current draw 10mA- Output impedance: 47kohm

You might have a look at this, **broken link removed** it's designed for use with 600 ohm microphones - the 47K input impedance of the pickup preamp if way too high, and it doesn't have a flat response (unless it's switchable).

I'll bet that your microphone type is electret, that needs power. Connect its "hot" wire to a 10K resistor. That junction will connect to the input of your amp. Connect the other end of the resistor to the + of a 9V battery and the - of the battery to the micrphone's shield.
Keep your TV's volume control turned down to avoid acoustical feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back