Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple project for wireless remote control or small motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

InventDad

Hi All,
I'm new to this and am trying to build something to help my son who has a form of Dwarfism. I'd like to build a collapsible step that is attached to a wire (or string) that he can use while getting on and off the bus... the idea is that he would place the step on the ground, step up onto the bus, then turn around and retrieve the step using the wire.

I'd like to use a install a motor (maybe a small brushless kind used in remote controlled cars) connected to a wireless receiver/transmitter that would turn the motor in forward and reverse (and off?)

The forward position would release the wire allowing him to lower the step to the ground and the reverse position would retrieve the wire (and the step) so he can continue on his way.

I'm thining the step will weigh at least 3 or 4 pounds so the motor will have to be able to lift that amount.

I'm looking to start with some kind of basic wiring kits that hopefully include all the necessary parts (wireless transmitter, receiver, servo, motor, controller, etc) that I can install and test with.

I'm also looking for any good information I can read on wireless controls and rc circuits.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

I can't picture how this works, is it permanently attached to the bus, or is he carrying it with him? Could you post a sketch?

picture of step

The step would be portable so he could bring it other places - like a buffet bar or lunch counter...

I have included a drawing that has two views of the step.

I labeled the parts but I'm not sure if that is all there is or what these parts really are... I took them from another diagram.

I really appreciate any help you can give me

Attachments

• step 1.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 457
So the handle with the transmitter is always attached to the step through the cable, right? I think the most reliable and lightweight way to do this (outside of a purely mechanical solution) would be to use 2 plastic jacketed lightweight steel cables running to the winch assembly and sliprings on the winch. Send a control voltage down the cables, use a couple of resistors on the switch, an opamp and an H pattern motor drive in the step.

This would also give better horizontal and rotational control of the step, as well as eliminating the need for batteries in the handle and the transmit and recieve electronics.

Last edited:
Yes the handle is always attached. What you've said sounds interesting and could work quite nicely... I'll start to look at doing it that way. Do you know of any websites that will info on those items you've listed?

The cables are available at a hardware store, a telephone untangler is a small lightweight slip ring assembly, I think the winch and the rest of the mechanics will have to be constructed.

I can draw up a schematic for the circuit, first we need to determine a couple of things about the motor and battery. Do you have something in mind for that? I imagine the smallest rechargeable electric drill might be too heavy, but there are smaller electric screwdrivers that would have about the right power and gearing. What do you think?

Would you be opposed to a purely mechanical solution? I imagine the motivation for this is that your kid has trouble bending over, can you determine his useful range of motion and the minimum step height?

Another idea, could he cope with a lightweight stick that has a hinged step mounted on it. He could carry it as a stick and when he needs to get on the bus he flips the step down (either foot activated or hand activated with some mechanism within the pole) and steps on it while holding the top of the stick (think one-sided pogo stick without the bouncing). Then the step flips back up, either automatically or with some hand deactivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back